I have been an online writer for over six years. I am passionate about books, philosophy, music, and the music industry.
Songs About Nostalgia
Special memories of our growing years come alive when we listen to certain songs. These songs rekindle nostalgic times of the past in a vivid manner. Be it our childhood years or teenage years, it's memories of music that bring back that joyful smile. The lyrics in certain songs take us on a nostalgic trip down memory lane. The simple pleasures of life and the beautiful moments of the past are poetically sketched in songs about nostalgia.
The list below showcases a collection of rock, pop, country, R&B, folk, indie, alternative, hip hop, reggae, jazz, blues, and dance songs of the ‘60s, '70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s that are truly nostalgic. If you have a view, opinion, or song suggestion, let us know in the comments section.
Top 10 Best Nostalgic Songs
- “Perfect”—Ed Sheeran
- “All of Me”—John Legend
- “Take on Me”—a-ha
- “Summer of 69”—Bryan Adams
- “Better Together”—Jack Johnson
- “Seven”—Taylor Swift
- “In My Life”—The Beatles
- “Just the Way You Are”—Bruno Mars
- “Sweet Child O’ Mine”—Guns N’ Roses
- “I’m Yours”—Jason Mraz
What Is Nostalgic Music?
Nostalgic music relates to an identity or association of sentimental longing or wistful affection belonging to a period in the past. With nostalgia portrayed in songs, listeners experience a yearning to return to the past by remembering instances of pleasure or sadness. The craving to go back in time to relive moments is often augmented with a strong emotional feeling.
Beautiful moments of the past are remembered and cherished when lyrics of songs reference the simple pleasures of life. The best nostalgic songs are the ones that evoke enjoyable feelings with a recollection of past events. The emotional journey triggered by nostalgia in songs is known to affect our present state of mind positively.
Nostalgic music gives a brand new perspective to memories of the past. Songs about nostalgia evoke a momentary emotional connect of happenings in the past. It’s the lyrical content in these songs that takes listeners on a memorable journey of thoughts and memories. Aesthetic forms of nostalgia are showcased in songs from different decades. The emotions and feelings in reflective love songs connect in a relatable manner with instances in our life. In songs from different genres musicians exhibit the feeling associated with nostalgia poetically.
11. “Dancing in the Dark”—Bruce Springsteen
12. “Comfortably Numb”—Pink Floyd
13. “No Time to Die”—Billie Eilish
14. “Rolling in the Deep”—Adele
15. “7 Years”—Lukas Graham
16. “Complicated”—Avril Lavigne
17. “Heaven”—Bryan Adams
19. “In the End”—Linkin Park
20. “Brown Eyed Girl”—Van Morrison
Memories and Nostalgia in Songs
Songs about memories and nostalgia exhibit a wide spectrum of emotions. A number of singers and songwriters paint a picture about heartwarming moments from the past. Years gone by are revisited with lyrics that communicate endearing warmth. Certain songs describe the fun-filled adventures of teenage years in retrospect with present times. The peaceful easy feeling of yesteryears is often portrayed with experiences of childhood years. Romantic moments from the past are uniquely expressed through lyrics in songs about love and life.
21. “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now”—Starship
22. “With Or Without You”—U2
23. “Thinking Out Loud”—Ed Sheeran
25. “All About That Bass”—Meghan Trainor
26. “Crazy”—Gnarls Barkley
27. “Yesterday”—The Beatles
28. “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)”—Katy Perry
29. “Beat It”—Michael Jackson
30. “Despacito”—Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber
31. “Levitating”—Dua Lipa featuring Dababy
32. “Call Me Maybe”—Carly Rae Jepsen
33. “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”—Aerosmith
34. “Love You Like a Love Song”—Selena Gomez & the Scene
35. “Dancing Queen”—ABBA
36. “My Heart Will Go On”—Celine Dion
37. “Truly Madly Deeply”—Savage Garden
38. “Wannabe”—Spice Girls
39. “I Wanna Know What Love Is”—Foreigner
40. “Girls Just Want to Have Fun”—Cyndi Lauper
Nostalgic Themes in Songs
A wide-genre of nostalgic themes in songs is creatively showcased to explain a concept or idea. Certain singers and songwriters convey the sentiments of love and sadness with nostalgic events in their past. Dream themes showcased in songs often express joy and happiness associated with memorable instances from the past. In different genres, singers and songwriters recall past happenings with myriad themes that connect with the heart.
A number of music videos capture the essence of cherished moments with highly stylized emotional concepts and ideas. In songs from different genres, musicians narrate the beautiful feeling of leading a carefree life in their younger days. Moments spent with family and friends are highlighted in a thoughtful manner with emotions being the centrifugal element. Although contrasting attributes are associated with nostalgia, in songs the different themes often portrayed are
42. “I Want to Break Free”—Queen
43. “Party Rock Anthem”—LMFAO
44. “Eye of the Tiger”—Survivor
45. “Boom Boom Pow”—The Black Eyed Peas
46. “More Than Words”—Extreme
47. “Sound of Silence”—Simon & Garfunkel
48. “Oops!...I Did It Again”—Britney Spears
49. “Can’t Help Falling in Love With You”—Elvis Presley
50. “Pour Some Sugar on Me”—Def Leppard
51. “Wake Me Up before You Go-Go”—Wham!
52. “Is This Love”—Whitesnake
53. “How Deep is Your Love”—Bee Gees
54. “Hey Ya!”—OutKast
56. “What a Wonderful World”—Louis Armstrong
57. “Born to Be Wild”—Steppenwolf
58. “(I Just) Died in Your Arms”—Cutting Crew
59. “Total Eclipse of the Heart”—Bonnie Tyler
60. “Smells Like Teen Spirit”—Nirvana
61. “We are the World”—USA for Africa
63. “Shape of You”—Ed Sheeran
64. “Fancy”—Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX
65. “What’s Love Got to Do Without It”—Tina Turner
66. “Hello”—Lionel Richie
67. “I Just Called to Say I Love You”—Stevie Wonder
68. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”—Eurythmics
70. “Losing My Religion”—R.E.M.