Shay enjoys exercise that involves reclining and occasional naps, and therefore has been an advocate for pilates and yoga for over a decade.
Mellow Out With Some Sweet 1980s Music
Who says all yoga music has to be unrecognizable? Not I! I'm offering up three different hour-long '80s yoga playlists that prove that contemporary music is a-OK at any time, even whilst in downward dog.
These songs are also great for pilates and, for those of you that would rather eat fire than bend like that, it's just plain good music for chillaxin. Relaxin. Relaxing? I mean relaxing.
I think the ethereal quality of new wave music lends itself perfectly to yoga, so I've got a New Wave Yoga Playlist for you. Because I realize not everyone likes new wave (gasp!), the second is an '80s Pop/Rock Yoga Playlist. Lastly, since there are those of you that might like the idea of an '80s "ish" songs playing during your yoga session, but don't want to go full nostalgic, I've got an '80s-Inspired Yoga Playlist. It includes a mix of "milder" songs, covers, and more modern songs that give me warm fuzzy feelings.
Three '80s Yoga Playlists
- New Wave
P.S.: I've punctuated each playlist with Enya, because Enya is king. Bow down.
1. '80s New Wave Yoga Playlist
The relaxing, mellow new wave of the '80s is tailor-made for yoga. Most of these songs can be found on iTunes, but a good number are available for free with Amazon Prime if you have an account.
- "All Cats Are Grey" - The Cure
- "Great Southern Land" - Icehouse
- "The Crying Game" - Boy George
- "It's My Life" - Talk Talk
- "More Than This" - Roxy Music
- "Save a Prayer" - Duran Duran
- "Waiting for the Night" - Depeche Mode
- I"f You Were Here" - Thompson Twins
- "Forever Young" - Alphaville
- "Ordinary World" - Duran Duran
- "Only You" - Yaz
- "Don't Dream It's Over" - Crowded House
- "If You Leave" - Orchestral Manoeuvres In the Dark
- "Boadicea" - Enya
Listen to It Now
'80s New Wave for Your Pilates Workout
2. '80s Pop/Rock Yoga Playlist
This playlist clocks in at 1 hour 20 minutes, but I did this on purpose. I figure most people have will a few songs they don't like. Since a lot of these are among the most popular songs of the decade, I wanted to give you the option of excluding a few and still having a full 60-minute playlist. See how considerate I am!
- "Take Me Home" - Phil Collins
- "Graceland" - Paul Simon
- "Drive" - The Cars
- "All Through the Night" - Cyndi Lauper
- "We Belong" - Pat Benatar
- "Eternal Flame" - The Bangles
- "Wrapped Around Your Finger" - The Police
- "Everywhere" - Fleetwood Mac
- "Still Loving You" - Scorpions
- "These Dreams" - Heart
- "Live to Tell" - Madonna
- "Like a Prayer" - Madonna
- "It Must Have Been Love" - Roxette
- "So Alive" - Love and Rockets
- "Don't Come Around Here No More" - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
- "I'll Stand By You" - Pretenders
- "Orinoco Flow" - Enya
Listen to It Now
The Perfect '80s Album for Yoga
3. '80s-Inspired Yoga Playlist
This playlist has some familiar songs, familiar songs in an unfamiliar package, and a heavy dose of indie and acoustic.
- "True Colors" - Cyndi Lauper
- "Blame It on the Tetons" - Modest Mouse
- "Save Me" - Aimee Mann
- "Man on the Corner" - Genesis
- "Life In Mono" - Mono
- "Mad World" - Michael Andrews & Gary Jules
- "Challengers" - The New Pornographers
- "What I Am" - Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
- "Wild World" - Maxi Priest
- "Walking on the Moon" - The Police
- "The Police and the Private" - Metric
- "Leather and Lace" - Stevie Nicks & Don Henley
- "Time After Time" - Willie Nelson
- "Boy With a Coin" - Iron & Wine
- "Haiti" - Arcade Fire
- "Caribbean Blue" - Enya
Read More From Spinditty
Listen to It Now
An '80s Inspired Album for Yoga or Pilates
© 2014 Shay Marie
TerriCarr on March 31, 2014:
I'm not much into most 80's music....but I do love Enya and Paul Simon.
puppy-love on March 24, 2014:
excellent collection thanks for the playlist!
anonymous on February 25, 2014:
A great playlist! Some great listening to be had there!
Amine from Doha, Qatar on February 25, 2014:
nice playlist here, the old music is really something to listen to.
Eugene Samuel Monaco from Lakewood New York on February 24, 2014:
I love all you have selected here, I might have to take up yoga!!! Thanks:)
Barbara Tremblay Cipak from Toronto, Canada on February 23, 2014:
I like your featured collections here!
RoadMonkey on February 22, 2014:
Great idea, providing a themed play list that you can pick and choose from!
SteveKaye on February 21, 2014:
Thank you for this new twist on yoga music.
Merry Citarella from Oregon's Southern Coast on February 20, 2014:
Clever idea for a lens! I love it. And so many of these songs hold memories. They'd be great for any exercise I think. Thanks for putting this together!