Lauriano has always been a lover of local and international musicians. He enjoys listening to music and writing about what he discovers.
Best of 2021
2021 marked one of the most fruitful years for the OPM industry. We saw the rise of new artists who created great OPM hits, proving that OPM music has not weakened nor been neglected. If anything, it demonstrates that the love of Filipinos for their music endures. Here are the Top 40 OPM Songs for 2021
1. “Isa Lang”
Album: Isa Lang
Artist: Arthur Nery
Song Facts About “Isa Lang”
- Isa Lang" is Arthur Nery's single. The song, released in December, has more than 18 million streams on Spotify.
- Arthur Nery's "Isa lang" is a reflective tune with a pace of 82 beats per minute. It can also be utilized in double-time at a tempo of 164 BPM.
- The song is 4 and 29 seconds long and in a minor key and mode. It has moderate intensity and a time signature of 4 beats per bar, making it not very danceable.
- "Isa Lang," his most recent single ending out the new year and ushering in a new era of contemporaries in 2022, is devoid of substance, preserving vocal variation rather than surpassing one's ability.
- But since the prince of Neo-R&B delivers you a wilted rose, the style he is refining today offers less. Even the intimate bass beats, organ synths, guitar riff, and skeletal rhythm backing-band sound cannot support his one-note, commercially appealing vocal style.
Genre(s): Ballad, Hip Hop, Pop
Song Facts About “Mapa”
- "Mapa," a mixture of the words "mama" and "papa," is supposed to be a compliment to the parents who worked hard to raise children.
- The song makes the most exemplary use of Stell's belting ability while also displaying blended harmonies that showcase Justin's and rappers Ken and Josh's vocal abilities.
- But, as is often the case with SB19, the seamless incorporation of Filipino culture and values into "Mapa's" lyrics and message resonates the most with Filipinos. Going through the YouTube comments on how it helped people deal with the loss and distance caused by the pandemic, it's also evident that "Mapa" arrived at the right time.
- Sony Music published a full-band song version on June 27, 2021. SB19 and Filipino folk-pop band Ben&Ben recorded it, and SB19, Ben&Ben, and Mark Villar produced it.
- SB19 and Ben&Ben have collaborated for the first time. The performance video was shot in the six-year-restored art deco-inspired Manila Metropolitan Theatre.
- "SB19 Sets the Record as the First Filipino Act Nominated for a Billboard Music Award"
- SB19's MAPA is a melancholy tune with a pace of 130 BPM. It could also be used half-time at 65 beats per minute or double-time at 260 beats per minute.
- The song is 4 minutes and 35 seconds long and features an A key and a primary mode. With a rhythmic pattern of four beats per bar, it has a lot of energy and is relatively danceable.
Album: Pebble House, Vol. 1: Kuwaderno
Artist: Ben&Ben, Zild Benitez, Juan Karlos Labajo
Read More From Spinditty
Song Facts About “Lunod”
- The music video is a profoundly reflective and metaphoric interpretation of the song, which is all woven in together from the concept and writing, down to the setting, says Paolo Benjamin, lead vocalist, guitarist, and Lunod principal songwriter.
- In the video, the song is told as the band, led by Zild and Juan Carlos, steadily moves deeper and deeper into the tunnel, losing breath and then, in the latter half, taking powerful steps to escape. This represents a rebirth into a newer, more polished version of oneself."
- The filming took place at the El Deposito water reservoir, an underground location recognized for its historical significance in the events leading up to the Philippine Revolution, Philippine-American War, and World War II.
- Aside from the EP, hip-hop artist Zelijah remixed 'Lunod,' channeling his battles with mental health on the creative level and even adding a rap verse to portray the mental pressures he went through throughout the epidemic and after being diagnosed as bipolar. Zelijah's "Bipolar remix" allows him to inject his personality into the song and rework it with ethereal sonic components that fuse trap, hip-hop, modern electronica, and rock music genres.
- Ben&Ben's song “Lunod” (feat. Zild & Juan Karlos) has a tempo of 94 BPM. At 188 BPM, it can also be utilized in double time. The track has a C key and a minor mode, lasting 2 minutes and 58 seconds. With a time signature of four beats per bar, it has a lot of energy and is relatively danceable.
Genre(s): R&B/Soul, Pop
Artist: Zack Tabudlo ft. James TW
Song Facts About “Binibini”
- Dan Villegas directed the song video, which debuted on Monday (April 12). It follows a young couple, portrayed by Seth Fedelin and Andrea Brillantes, who are on the verge of a split. They recall the events they've had throughout their relationship as time travels back to the day they first met.
- In his opinion, Zack also stated that 'Binibini' is about more than simply an essential crush or cliched relationship.
- The song, according to him, is about a mutual connection between two individuals who are emotionally obsessed with each other but are "waiting for the appropriate opportunity to declare what they feel."
- "Binibini" was published in March by Island Records Philippines, which debuted in August with Tabudlo as one of their first signings. It's his third single of the year following.
- “Binibini” by Zack Tabudlo is a sorrowful song with a pace of 130 BPM. It can also be used half-time at 65 beats per minute or double-time at 260 beats per minute. With an F key and a major mode, the tune lasts 3 minutes and 42 seconds. With a time signature of four beats per bar, it has a low intensity and is quite danceable.
Genre(s): R&B/Soul, Pop
Artist: Zack Tabudlo
Song Facts About “Pano”
- "PANO," another R&B-pop ballad augmented with a more prosperous, glossy sound, deals with the heartbreak of losing someone to whom you've given your heart and love, despite your best efforts to make everything work.
- "The song is about revealing your vulnerabilities and real love to a person and having your hopes and expectations high," Zack explains. Despite everything good that has happened to you, you still shatter your heart. The other individual does not share your feelings about commitment and love."
- "PANO," written, produced, mixed, and mastered by the 21-year-old singer himself, is easily one of his most touching, if not the most "hugot"-driven pieces in his discography. Zack sought a more laid-back approach to the instrumentation in production while still giving the audience that soulful, vibey sound that suits his singing style.
- Zack Tabudlo's melancholy tune Nangangamba has a tempo of 98 BPM. At 196 BPM, it can also be utilized in double time. The track has a C/D key and a major mode, lasting 3 minutes and 30 seconds. With a time signature of four beats per bar, it has average energy and is quite danceable.
Artist: Adie, Adrienne Camp
Song Facts About “Paraluman”
- The young musician was inspired to write lyrics and eventually compose a tune when the inspiration came. And said beauty is Angelina Cruz, the daughter of Sunshine Cruz.
- Adie stated, "For me, there is no particular trait or definition of my paraluman." I'll treat her like Paraluman, a lovely person, regardless of how attracted I am or what kind of person she turns out to be.
- "I'm the type of man who believes in fate and God's perfect timing, so when the moment arrives, I get butterflies in my stomach, and I know it's over."
- O/C Records publishes "Paraluman."
- Adie's very sorrowful song Paraluman has a tempo of 90 BPM. It can also be played at 180 BPM in double-time. The song has a duration of 5 minutes and 12 seconds and a major key. With a time signature of 4 beats per bar, it is moderately danceable and has subtle energy.
7. “Nang Dumating Ka”
Genre(s): Alternative Rock Alternative/iNDIE
Album: Nang Dumating Ka
Artist: Bandang Lapis
Song Facts About “Nang Dumating Ka”
- "Nang Dumating Ka" is Bandang Lapis's fifth digital single. On February 14, 2021, it was released.
- "Nang Dumating Ka" by Bandang Lapis is a melancholy song with a 132 BPM speed. It can also be utilized in half-time mode at 66 BPM or double-time mode at 264 BPM.
- The music has a C key and a "major mode " lasting 6 minutes and 20 seconds. With a time signature of 4 beats per bar, it has average intensity and is relatively danceable.
- This song can be played on acoustic guitar using the chords listed below. The tuning is E A D G B E, and the difficulty level is intermediate.
Genre(s): Hip Hop Rap
Artist: Skusta Clee
Song Facts About “Lagi”
- In June, he indicated a transition from hardcore hip-hop artist to doting parent with a lovely, stripped-down trap/pop song dedicated to his newborn daughter.
- The tatted Ex-Battalion member is shown in his infant daughter's entirely pink, floral bedroom in the music video (which has over 100 million views). It's not hard to see why "Lagi" has topped local music charts multiple times since its release, with lyrics like "Basta't ngumiti lang palagi / ngumiti ka lang sa 'akin" describing how head over heels he was for his daughter.
- Following the release of "Lagi," Skusta Clee's music video received great feedback from the online community.
- Skusta Clee's song Lagi has a BPM of 95. It can also be utilized in double time at 190 BPM. The music is 3 minutes and 35 seconds long and has an F key and a major mode. It has a modest intensity level and is relatively danceable, with a time signature of 4 beats per bar.
9. “Ikaw at Ako (Hanggang Dulo)”
Album: Halfway Point (Reimagined)
Artist: Moira Dela Torre, Jason Marvin
Song Facts About “Ikaw at Ako (Hanggang Dulo)”
- The song “Ikaw at Ako (Hanggang Dulo)” won the most streamed song in Awit Awards.
- Moira Dela Torre accepted an eight-time platinum award from Star Music's Jonathan Manalo for her album "Malaya," a two-time platinum award for her song "Ikaw at Ako," and a platinum award for her current album "Patawad."
- Moira Dela Torre's Ikaw At Ako (Movie Version) is in the key of E. It should be played at a pace of 136 beats per minute.
Genre(s): OPM, Rock
Year Released: 2021
Song Facts About “Hakbang”
- Last October 27, 2021, the Filipino Rock outfit released the new graphics for their track "Hakbang," directed by Quark Henares. It is their debut release on Island Records Philippines.
- The new Mikey Amistoso-produced single was composed by vocalist and guitarist Jim Bacarro, with lyrics by Ali Sangalang, and is expected to appear on the forthcoming third studio album by Cheats.
- "I just wanted to write a song that portrays what a couple experiences through confinement," Bacarro explains. The 'Daze' act released a preview for their 'Hakbang music video, which features the Filipino actor Piolo Pascual sitting in a chair and staring upwards.
Genre(s): Vis Pop
Artist: Jackie Chang
Song Facts About “Vega”
- This release by Cebuana-Korean singer Jacky Chang is evidence that the VisPop movement delivers many hits every year. The Cebuana-Korean singer will release a flirty pop song with Cebuano, English, and Korean verses in 2021.
- VisPop's founder Jude Gitamandoc lauded the song's lyrics, praising their use of Korean and Bisaya without sacrificing their charm and wit. Chang has been a significant figure in the country's booming VisPop movement in recent years due to her melancholy, emotional songs, yet, "Vega" is one of her best tracks due to its catchiness and wit.
- "Vega" was released on YouTube on September 24, 2021, according to the artist's meta description. Few people are aware that I am half-Korean. Here is my attempt to reconnect with my Korean ancestry while maintaining my Bisaya identity."
12. “Baby Ko Si Kulot”
Genre(s): OPM Music Mix
Album: Baby Ko Si Kulot
Artist: Guthrie Nikolao
Song Facts About “Baby Ko Si Kulot”
- The following chord progression is used to play "Baby Ko Si Kulot" on the guitar: D#m F# B C# G with an Intermediate level of difficulty.
- "Baby Ko Si Kulot" became more famous on the social media platform TikTok as a result of its distinctive beats, which were easy to dance to. This has been a terrific way for the song to get recognition.
- The music video for the song debuted on YouTube on February 1, 2021, and Ludwig Nikolao and Mitchnikof Nikolao are the directors.
10 More OPM Songs from 2021
13. “Know Me”
22.“What’s It Gonna Be?"
© 2022 Lauriano Lim V