Good MP3 Players and Portable Speakers for Kids!
My wife and I are parents that make our kids do chores. We use MP3 players as a way to incentivize them to do it.
While we have various speakers around the house, it drives me crazy when there are multiple songs going on at the same time. That's why I load their favorite songs on a portable MP3 player for them to listen to while they clean.
Having broken, lost, or accidentally washed a plethora of MP3 players, we've tried quite a few of them. Here's a look at a few of our favorites.
Good MP3 Players for Kids
- Sandisk MP3 Player
- Hotechs MP3 player
- Klangtop MP3 Bluetooth Compatible Player
- Apple iPod Touch
- Sony NWE394/R Walkman
- Goldenseller MP3/MP4 Player
Portable Speakers for Kids!
- Kinivo ZX100
- Anker SoundCore
Good MP3 Players for Kids
Review of the Sandisk MP3 Player
One of the most popular MP3 players you'll come across is the . It's available in a standard .96" LCD screen, and a 1.44" LCD screen with and without Bluetooth. For capacity, you can also order it in 4GB to 16GB sizes. That's quite a lot of music. Sandisk MP3 player
I've owned the Bluetooth and standard versions for a while, so here is my perspective on each.
First of all, the Sandisk MP3 player is not for everyone. It's rather small for little kids, which I've found to not typically be a good thing. For my 12-year-old, it's perfect. the 8GB .96" LCD version is $30, has a rich sound quality built-in, and an 18-hour battery life. It's also available in black, orange, and green colors. For him, I got the orange so it's easier to find if he misplaces it.
You can get the larger LCD screen here as well, but you pay around $15 more for slightly better navigation. The 1.44" LCD screen version also offers a memory slot card and works with microSDHC cards up to 32GB. This is great for additional music and audiobooks. For me, that wasn't worth it; however, if your child listens to a lot of audiobooks, I could definitely see why you'd want to go in that direction.
More About the Sandisk MP3 Player
- Game Options: Out of all the MP3 players I reviewed, the Sandisk options have the most intuitive menu and most professional setup. Other options on this list are similar in price.
Earbuds: Most of the MP3 players out there come with a pair of cheap earbuds. This one did. That being said, most of them are terrible. That includes Sandisk's option, which is too big and uncomfortable for my ears.
- Product Specs: It has a 4GB to 16GB capacity. It has a .96 to 1.44" LCD screen. Bluetooth is optional on the 1.44" Model. MicroSDHC is also optional on the 1.44" model. It has fantastic audio quality for the price. It comes in various colors. Its battery lasts up to 18 hours (24 for 1.44" Model). Its clip is convenient and keeps it in place.
Review of the Hotechs MP3 player
For just $20, it's affordable, comes in 13 different styles, has 16GB of storage, and gives you fairly good audio quality. It's a bit larger than the SanDisk .96" LCD model, comes out of the gate with 16GB (micro SD supports up to 64GB more, and can play AMV and AVI video formats.
This MP3 player includes a standard charger and braided earbuds. Don't expect it to replace your iPod. That being said, for $20 it's a great option for young kids.
More About the Hotechs MP3 player
- Audio Quality: The difference in audio quality between this MP3 player and others on this list mostly has to do with the earbuds or headphones you're using. All of them were better than I expected.
- Menu: The menu for this MP3 player isn't super intuitive. That being said, once I got the hang of it it was no big deal.
- Earbuds: The Hotechs MP3 player is cheap and has earbuds that actually fit my kid's ears. So, for $20, it's a pretty good deal.
- Cost: Considering you'd pay $10 for a decent pair of earbuds this option is about $20 cheaper than the rest of the competition, has plenty of colors, and decent quality. It's a good cheap option for kids.
Review of the Klangtop MP3 Bluetooth Compatible Player
One of the key features for this model is its Bluetooth 4.0 support (with a $30 price tag). It includes earbuds (although, I'd consider them mediocre at best). This is great for my son who plays soccer, because he runs quite a lot and likes to use this with his Bluetooth earbuds. It has a long charge (around 30 hours) is much easier to keep on him, because he doesn't have to try to wear an armband with his phone in it.
For sound quality, I'd consider it on par with the SanDisk Sansa Clip +. If you want the most out of it, you'll want to get a decent pair of earbuds as well.
More About the Klangtop MP3 Bluetooth Compatible Player
- Pros: It's affordable, has bluetooth, and has 8GBs of storage (with 32GB expansion slot).
- Cons: It includes mediodore earbuds.
Review of the Apple iPod Touch
There are a lot of options you could go with here. The latest generation of the iPod Touch is the iPod Touch 6. It's available in 32GB models for $200 and 128GB models for $300 on Apple's website.
If you go this route you're getting more than simply an MP3 player here. You're getting a device that can be setup to text, watch videos, and play games from the App store.
The iPod touch also includes Apple EarPods and a camera that shoots 1.2MP pictures and can record in up to a 720p resolution.
This is a great solution for parents looking for an option that allows their children to text, but don't want to pay for a phone plan as of yet.
More About the Apple iPod Touch
- Alternatives: An alternative to the 6th generation would be to take a look at the 4th generation iPod Touch, available for . It's not quite as modern or sleek, but carries much of the same features. The 5th generation, which looks quite a bit more modern, is available for as low as $90. $30 Used on Amazon
- Qualities: Overall, this is a great option used or new if you're willing to spend the money. The audio quality is better than any of the options above and you get many more features as well. That said, you'll have to decide on whether or not it's worth the extra cash.
Review of the Sony NWE394/R Walkman
The device itself feels solid and it supports a number of formats, including MP3, WMA, AAC-LC, and L-PCM. While I like this device overall, the ear buds are just ok.
The ear buds are not the best in the world, but you can easily replace them with a decent model that costs around $10, like Panasonic's RPHJE120k, or you can spend about twice as much for something nicer, like MEElectronics' Sport-Fi M6 in-ear headphones.
More About the Sony NWE394/R Walkman
- Capacity: The Walkman is available in capacities of 4-16GB with the 4GB costing as little as $55 and the 16GB costing around $90.
- Usability: For the money you won't find a better MP3 player under $100. The Walkman is easy-to-use and big enough that it won't easily get lost.
More Info About MP3 Players for Kids
Review of the Goldenseller MP3/MP4 Player
Before I get into this option, I just want to mention that if you're looking for super high quality and flexibility, this might not be for you. If you're looking for pure functionality, this new MP3 player should do the trick. That's what I was looking for, so, for me, it was perfect.
More About the Goldenseller MP3/MP4 Player
- Capacity: There is no internal memory on the Goldenseller model. Instead, it comes with a 16GB Micro SD card that can be swapped in and out.
- Included Items: This MP3 and MP4 player comes with the Micro SD card, an earphone, and USB cable in the box.
- Interface: This MP4 player has a simple interface and basically allows you to lump various music into folders and listen to it randomly. It's not intuitive, so you might have to help your kids sort it out.
- Positives: The included earbuds for this MP4 player were not that great, but the price is at just $20. Order some $10 earbuds to go with it and you've got a great MP3 / MP4 player for your kids at just $30. The battery lasts around 10 hours. Additional options on tis device include e-book, FM Radio, as well as play and recording options. It is not compatible with iTunes. Overall, it's not perfect, but it's good enough for little kids and doesn't cost a fortune at around $20.
MP3 Players Under $25
Every kid is different. So, look or something that matches your child's needs and personality.
I still like the SanDisk MP3 player as a name brand quality option for tweens. The iPod Touch is a great option for those transitioning to a phone. And something like the Hotech MP3 player is a good option for younger kids.
In the under $25 category, you might be surprised at just how many options are available. Knock off options from China, as well as inexpensive options from Ravo, are popular, but there's one model that really sticks out above the rest.
Great Speakers for Kids!
In searching for an inexpensive MP3 player, I wanted to get a portable speaker that would work through the audio jack so they could listen to it together in their rooms and move it around the house for when we all want to join in.
There's a number of speakers out there that are portable and sound great, but if you don't know what you're looking for, you might end up paying for features that you simply don't need.
Review of the Kinivo ZX 100
At around $12, I really like the Kinivo ZX100. They're super portable and can daisy chain together if you purchase more than one. But, even just using one will sound great.
Is the Kinivo ZX 100 Loud?
Without having these speakers daisy chained together, they aren't that loud. To me, this was a good thing. If you want a little more volume, consider buying a couple of these—or going with a more expensive model.
More About the Kinivo ZX 100
- Value: Overall they're probably the best value for the money you spend.
- Other Options: If you're looking for another good option, then compare it with the X-Mini II.
Review of the Anker SoundCore Speaker
I've reviewed a few Anker products in the past and continue to be impressed by how the company's quality improves. The Anker SoundCore is one of my favorite products right now.
It's a Bluetooth speaker that costs around $36 and has as good of sound quality as you'd find in much more expensive models.
More About the Anker SoundCore Speaker
- Playback: For playback, it lasts around 24 hours. So, it's certainly something you can leave on all day and not worry about.
- Durability: It's durable as well, so it's perfect for kids. Overall, it's great for any device that has Bluetooth connectivity.
- Cheaper Devices: For the cheaper devices I've listed above, you can use the auxiliary port to connect directly to the MP3 player.
Overall, finding a cheap MP3 player that is both durable and easy-to-use is not that difficult. And, if you have little kids, it's a good idea to get one. If you've found a model that you prefer, or have a question about one of the models I've mentioned above, then please let others know in the comment section below.
What's Your Budget?
Help us to feature more of the products you're looking for.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Brandon Hart