Tery's been an online music writer for several years. She loves singing, recording, audio editing.
Do you have a passion for music, voice acting, or another creative hobby related to audio recording and editing, but don't have an audio studio? You may be thinking it is too costly and unaffordable. Well, think again!
First of all, basic studio equipment can provide excellent results and great sounding audio for personal uses. All you need is to find the best products at the best prices.
In this article, I will be mainly focusing on the necessary audio products. This is a guide only for people who are looking for high-quality products on a budget, because these are some of the cheapest available options on the market.
Having your own recording studio does not have to be difficult and expensive. You only need to find the best products at the best prices. If you get some experience with recording and editing, you can achieve amazing results! In fact, I made my studio for under $300.
What You Need for a Home Recording Studio
- Audio editing software
- Audio interface
- Pop filter (suggested)
- Microphone stand (suggested)
- Monitors (suggested)
- Acoustic panels (suggested)
- Reflection filters (suggested)
Read More From Spinditty
Products I Used at First
- Shure SM58 Microphone: One of the first microphones I've used was the famous dynamic Shure SM58, which is known for its durability and has been in the audio recording world for decades. For audio studios, it is preferred to use a condenser microphone, but Shure is one of few dynamic mics that are suitable for a studio environment, as well as on the stage.
- XLR-to-USB Cable: As I had a strong desire to experiment, instead of buying an audio interface, I decided to get a simple XLR-to-USB cable from Alesis MicLink, which can connect a microphone straight to a computer. While this may be a nice idea for some, because it is somewhat cheaper, I would recommend investing in an interface instead. XLR-USB adapters can degrade the quality of sound a little. And, if you are looking for the best result, it is always better to get a mixer.
- USB Microphone: Another option would be getting a USB microphone. You do not need to purchase a microphone and a cable/interface, when you can get a mic that can work directly on your computer. One microphone that has a very good reputation among USB microphones is the Blue Yeti. It is a condenser mic, suitable for the studio environment. It comes with a stable stand and elegant design. However, I still highly recommend sticking with the choice of getting a condenser microphone and interface separately in order to get the most professional result.
Products I Recommend
- Audio-Technica AT2020 Condenser Mic: I did lots of research in order to find the best possible among condenser mics that are also cheap. I realized that there are too many good options. All microphones, expensive or cheap, come with their pros and cons. But, in the end, I decided to pick Audio-Technica AT2020. Here is the whole package, which includes the microphone, a clip, a carrying pouch, a pop filter, a microphone stand, and an XLR cable (all for just $131). With Audio-Technica, there is good noise isolation, which is one of the most important things in creating a clear and nice sounding recording. There is noise isolation from the back area and the two sides. However, if your environment is too noisy, know that this condenser mic might not be ideal for you. So, you may need to ensure that your environment is quiet enough. Or, you can stick with a dynamic microphone (as it is more suitable for noisy places).
- AKG K240STUDIO Headphones: When it comes to headphones, there is a big variety of high-quality and affordable ones, so this should not be too difficult for you to find. I recommend using AKG K44 headphones, which do not cost a lot. At the moment, I find these ones to be the very convenient.
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo Mixer: Another thing a studio cannot go without is an audio interface. To connect your microphone to your computer, you will need a mixer, so Focusrite Scarlett Solo mixer is a great option. It costs around $90 and it is one of the cheapest mixers out there. I had previously used a USB cable to connect my mic to my computer, but in order to get the best sound, I believe it is always better to choose a mixer. Focusrite Scarlett Solo is great for people on a budget and for those who travel often. It is small, compact, light, and portable. Unfortunately, you cannot set up multiple microphones, only one at a time. Nevertheless, this device is still great. It is portable and simple to use.
© 2019 Tory Peta