New Hip-Hop Artist: L.A.Shawn (LA Boii) Who Is This Upcoming Artist?
Before the Interview
I first came across L.A.Shawn's music through a friend at my old job. To be completely honest, I didn't really listen to "Soundcloud Rappers" all that much, but my friend insisted that I listened to his music. My friend showed me a song of his titled "OCEAN" and from that point forward I became a huge fan—keeping his notifications on and staying up to date on every song he dropped.
After some time, as his popularity grew, I realized he didn't have any blogs or interviews. (I could be the first!) So I emailed him and we worked some things out with his team and was able to get an over-the-phone interview.
I got my questions ready and dialed his number in my phone. In all honesty, I was so excited, not just because I was interviewing an upcoming artist, but I also got to be the first one to do so! It was a great opportunity for both of us.
We talked for an hour before we got into it. All my excitement caused me to be nervous, but he calmed me down. We had conversations about my hobbies and my life—and vise versa. I learned that he doesn't only make music, but has short films and stories in the making. After an hour of all this talking we finally got into the interview.
Interview With L.A.Shawn
- What drew you to the music industry? (I’ve been around music my whole life, before my mom and dad split, my dad did music and took me to all the studios he went to when I was younger and my mom sang all the time. It was just one of those things that just came naturally. I started doing music later down the line just for fun but as time went on I used it as a therapy, helped me through a lot of hard times.)
- Who are you inspired by? (To be honest, a few people, NF, Melanie Martinez, Billie Eilish, Ty Dolla $ign, and last but most definitely not least Travis Scott. He was the reason I really started doing music. I wanted my music to make people feel the same way his music made me feel Well not literally the same but you know what I mean.)
- Please explain your creative process (Well, when my producers send me a beat, I listen to the first 10-20 seconds and if I vibe with it within that time, I listen to the whole thing with both headphones in, close my eyes and let the beat move me. I’d do that and then start free-styling to catch the rhythm and flow. Then I’d start writing once I find that one or two flows I really like.)
- Is there a hidden meaning in any of your music? (Everything I dropped before my single “Dollhouse” no. It all was for fun but everything after, including Dollhouse, does and will. But I’ll let everyone listen to it and see if they can decode the messages I’m proving. Each song is just a bunch of metaphors in themselves.)
- Do you collaborate with others? What is that process? (Yes I do, shout out to Breana Marin, Lil Baby, Baby Goth, Katana, and all the other amazing artists I worked with, but if me or my team likes another artists sound, we email them or their team talking about possible future collaborations.)
- What is your favorite part about this line of work? Your least favorite? (My favorite part about making music is that I finally have people willing to listen to what I have to say. Always held things in, and the fact people support and appreciate what I have to say, it's a good feeling. And the fans! Man the fans. Those are the real heroes to be honest. The ones that actually like my work, they are full of so much love. I love it. Only thing I hate about it all is that people think its a competition instead of a team work. I’d work with other artists but you know, people wanna do people dirty. Fuck them though. All love over here.)
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to follow in your footsteps? (My only advice to everyone is to just live your life for you. Don’t let others tell you how to live your life, you only have one, do what makes you happy. Everyone has dreams, turn them into reality, I didn't think it was possible until I actually started doing it and I’m in the making of making it my whole reality. It'll take time, but patience is key! Love with all your heart but only to those who deserve it!)
After we were done with the interview I decided to ask more about his new upcoming album, which sadly he couldn't talk much about it. Then he stated that those he listed earlier in the interview were going to be featured on it, then went on to tell me the title of the project (The Villain) and said he would send me a sneak peek image (which I have no idea what that means, could be a snippet from a music video, a promo image? Time shall tell.) He then ended the call by saying how he appreciated the interview and that I could do one on him whenever I wanted, then asked if I could add a certain title that he states:
"A singer/A rapper/The villain. Can you add that somewhere in there? When the album drops, people will understand"— L.A.Shawn (LA Boii)
L.A.Shawn (LA Boii), what are your thoughts?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.