Zach Stone: Hands On Interview
Zach Stone has that “whatever it is” quality that makes a singer so appealing to large groups of people. Add to his obvious musical ability his work with Hand Camp, his desire to inspire children like him to become all that they can be, and his drive for success and you have someone destined to be a star.
Zach was born with Brachydactyly, a condition that caused his fingers to be underdeveloped on his left hand at birth. But that never stopped him from doing anything he wanted. He had offers for baseball scholarships that he turned down in order to pursue a music career and he plays the guitar as well as many of his colleagues. Rather than let the condition hinder him, he uses it to inspire others like him to see their challenge as an asset.
He and his family worked with the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children to create Hand Camp, a camp designed for children with hand differences to interact with other children with hand differences. There, children are given an opportunity to see that they are not alone on their journey and that they too can overcome any challenges they face in life the same as anyone else. If these children are half as determined as Zach, there’s no doubt that they too provide inspiration to others around them.
For his part, Zach is headed straight for success on his chosen career path. His latest single “Hands On You” is a testament to that statement. Clearly, the man knows how to pen a tune that has staying power both on the radio and in your head. It’s simplistic in its lyrics and in its hook, but that’s precisely what makes the song so likable.
Also likeable is Zach himself. His answers to the questions below reveal a person with grit and determination as well as someone who thoroughly enjoys life. Listen to his music and read the interview to see for yourself.
Shannon Henry: “Hands on You” is your latest single. Tell me about that, please. If you wrote it, is there a story behind how it came about?
Zach Stone: I was in the shower when the melody came to me; I jumped out and recorded it on my phone soaking wet. My next thought was the title, “Hands On.” I’ve spent my entire life being “hands on” — learning by just trying new things and by making mistakes. Relationships are the same. I try to “work” at my relationships, but sometimes I make mistakes. I’m also super affectionate; I love to hold hands, kiss and cuddle, so this song is about my vision of the perfect relationship and a teammate — a whole lotta love and whole lotta grace!
SH: Is simple, catchy, and powerful the secret to success?
ZS: Interesting statement; I think that’s pretty accurate. “Catchy" and “simple” generally do well, but I think the songs that truly “live on" are those that touch people’s hearts. That doesn’t necessarily refer to just sad songs; sometimes an upbeat or heartwarming song gives you so much joy or makes you feel so loved, that you just keep going back to it. Those...are the special ones.
"You’ll always have to do 90% of things you don’t want to, just so you can do the remaining 10% of the things that you love."
-Zach Stone referencing his father's advice.
Like I Need You
SH: What is the best advice you ever received from someone regarding life in general? And also, concerning your career?
ZS: My dad once told me “you’ll always have to do 90% of things you don’t want to, just so you can do the remaining 10% of the things that you love.” This statement really stuck with me and drove my work ethic. Where I end up is going to be worth all of the hard work we’ve put into it today. Some things won’t work out and you’ll always have hurdles, so just put your head down and push through it. That’s been helpful in my career and life in general.
SH: Describe your life story in one or two sentences.
ZS: With the right attitude and work ethic, and the support of friends and family, you can overcome anything.
"I stood on that stage under the lights with thousands of people cheering and I thought “yeah, I’m gonna do this the rest of my life."
- Zach Stone on defining career moments
Four Letter Word
SH: How has your work with Hand Camp influenced your musical career?
ZS: I’m just really excited for this camp to blow up so that we can continue to reach more kids who need Hand Camp. I wish every child born with a physical difference could enjoy the opportunity to go to a place like Hand Camp. It was so beneficial to me, and everyone else who’s gone through it. It’s a driver for me for the camp to be successful and enable me to use my platform to reach those people with a similar need.
SH: What is the craziest concert experience you’ve ever had?
I played Belmont’s "Best of the Best" with Ricky Skaggs and Peter Frampton. Sharing a stage with the legends that I listened to as a kid was an incredible experience. It was also my first arena show. That was another “moment;" I stood on that stage under the lights with thousands of people cheering and I thought “yeah, I’m gonna do this the rest of my life.”
Sorry and Lonely
Just For Fun:
SH: What stereotype do you completely live up to?
ZS: I’m so weirdly goofy and I enjoy a variety of things from sports to stand-up comedy to musical theater. I do drive like a typical 25-year-old. I drive fast and I love to push the limits of the vehicle I drive (especially when I get behind the wheel of my dad’s Camaro).
SH: If you woke up one day after being cryogenically frozen for one hundred years, what would be the first thing you said?
Where’s the nearest Chick-fil A? (I believe I’d be hungry!)
SH: What are three significant numbers in your life and why?
ZS: I have just one. The number 5 is my lucky number; it’s a number I see often, and I feel like God has used the number 5 as a sign to me to reassure me that I’m on the right path.
SH: What are your favorite foods to pig out on? Which ones will you not touch with a ten-foot pole?
ZS: I can crush some Nashville hot chicken. I’m pretty sure if Hattie B’s was good for you, I wouldn’t eat anything else. I can also drink milkshakes any time, any place.
More Zach Stone and Related Info
- Country Music Notes: Zach Stone Opens Up About His "Hands On" Experience and New Single
Continue this fun interview at the Country Music Notes website.
- Official Zach Stone Website
The official website of country singer Zach Stone.
- Hands to Love
Hands to Love works with children with upper limb differences.
- Pediatric Orthopedic Specialists | Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
Pediatric orthopedic hospital providing world-renowned treatment for scoliosis, clubfoot, hand disorders, hip disorders, neurological disorders and dyslexia.