Top 75 Hindi Songs of 1950s
When Bollywood Was Just Indian Cinema
The term "Bollywood" was invented sometime in the 1970s. Before that, Indian films were simply known as Indian cinema. The 1950s was the golden decade for Indian movies. That was when movies were black and white. By the end of the decade, technicolor was making its way.
My love for old Hindi songs started way back in my college days. Somehow I stumbled upon a radio show that featured only old songs. Today, there are radio channels dedicated only to retro music.
Back then, the singers sang from their heart. Lyricists wrote deep, meaningful lines. Music directors collaborated with many musicians to create wonderful compositions. Not that we don't have artists who do that these days, but it was more common then.
This was a period when Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, and Lata started their careers, while Talat Mahmood, Hemant Kumar, and Geeta Dutt were already amongst the best and Shamshad Begum a legend.
Here you'll find the best songs, along with some videos, that will bring back memories. Dive deep into reminiscing about those days. Happy listening! Maybe even dance a little, as there are many foot-tapping numbers.
Songs From the Golden Era (1950 - 1959)
Song titles are in "quotes" and film titles are in italics.
- "Aaja Re Ab Mera Dil Pukara" Aah
- "Aaja Re Pardesi" Madhumati
- "Aaja Sanam" Chori Chori
- "Achcha Ji Main Haari Chalo Maan Jaao" Kala Pani
- "Adha Hai Chandrama" Navrang
- "Ae Mere Dil Kahin Aur Chal" Daag
- "Ae Meri Topi Palat Ke Aa" Funtoosh
"Aye Dil Mujhe Bata De" Bhai Bhai
- "Ai Dil Hai Mushkil Jeena Yahaan" C.I.D.
"Aaiye Meherbaan" Howrah Bridge
- "Ankhon Hi Ankhon Mein Ishara Ho Gaya" C.I.D.
- "Awaara Hoon" Awara
- "Aye Maalik Tere Bande Hum" Do Aankhen Barah Haath
- "Babu Samjho Ishare" Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi
- "Babuji Dheere Chalna" Aar Paar
- "Badi Der Bhai" Basant Bahar
- "Bholi Soorat Dil Ke Khote" Albela
- "Cat Mane Billi" Dilli Ka Thug
- "Chhod Do Aanchal Zamana Kya Kahe Ga" Paying Guest
- "De Di Hamein Aazadi"Jagriti
- "Denewala Jab Bhi Deta" Funtoosh
- "Dil Deke Dekho" Title Song
"Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwaala" Shree 420
- "Dil Ka Khilona Hai Toot Gaya" Goonj Uthi Shehnai
- "Dukh Bhare Din Beete Re" Mother India
- "Dukhi Mann Mere" Funtoosh
- "Duniya Ke Rakhwale" Baiju Bawra
- "Duniya Mein Hum Aaye Hain" Mother India
- "Dil Mein Chhupake Pyar Le Chale" Aan
- "Eena Mina Dika" Aasha
- "Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhaagi Si" Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi
- "Ek Pardesi Mera Dil Le Gaya" Phagun
- "Gore Gore O Banke Chore" Samadhi
- "Haal Kaisa Hai Janaab Ka" Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi
- "Ham Aapki Aankhon Me" Pyaasa
"Hue Hum Jinke Liye Barbad" Deedar
"Leke Pahela Pahela Pyar" C.I.D.
- "Hum Aap Ki Ankhon Mein" Pyaasa
- "Hum Laaye Hain Toofan Se Kashti Nikaal Ke" Jagriti
- "Hum The Woh Thi" Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi
- "Hum To Mohabbat Karega" Dilli Ka Thug
- "Hum Tujhse Mohabbat Kar Ke" Awara
- "Ichak Dana Beechak Dana" Shree 420
- "Jata Kaha Hai Deewane" C.I.D.
- "Jaane Kya Tune Kahi" Pyaasa
- "Jaane Woh Kaise Log" Pyaasa
- "Jab Aane Wale Aate Hain" Madhosh
- "Kadam Kadam Badhaye Jaa" Samadhi
- "Kahin Pe Nigahen Kahin Pe Nishana" C.I.D.
- "Kisi Ki Muskurahaton Pe" Anari
- "Kitna Badal Gaya Insaan" Nastik
- "Kusoor Aapka Huzoor" Bahar
- "Man Dole Mera Tan Dole" Nagin
- "Mera Juta Hai Japani" Shree 420
- "Milte Hi Nazar" New Delhi
- "Mudh Mudh Ke Na Dekh" Shree 420
- "Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu" Howrah Bridge
- "Nakhrewali" New Delhi
- "Pyar Hua Iqrar Hua" Shree 420
- "Ramaiya Vastavaiya" Shree 420
- "Reshmi Shalwar Kurta" Naya Daur
- "Sab Kuchh Seekha Hamne" Anari
Sab Kuchh Seekha Hamne— Lyricist Shailendra penned this wonderful song for the movie Anari
- "Saathi Haath Badhana" Naya Daur
- "Shaam Dhale Khidki Tale" Albela
- "Saiyan Dil Mein Aana Re" Bahar
- "Sar Jo Tera Chakraye" Pyaasa
"Shola Jo Bhadke" Albela
- "Sun Sun Sun Sun Zaalima" Aar Paar
- "Tadbeer Se Bigdi Hui Taqdeer Bana Le" Baazi
- "Tu Ganga Ki Mauj" Baiju Bawra
- "Tu Hindu Banega Na Musalman Banega" Dhool Ka Phool
- "Tu Pyar Ka Sagar Hai" Seema
- "Tum Jiyo Hazaaron Saal" Sujata
- "Tum Sang Preet Lagai Rasiya" New Delhi
- "Tumsa Nahin Dekha" Title Song
- "Ye Lo Main Haari Piya" Aar Paar
- "Yeh Desh Hai Veer" Naya Daur
- "Yeh Mera Diwanapan Hai" Yahudi
- "Yaad Aane Wale Phir Yaad Aa Rahe Hai" Anmol Ratan
- "Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi' Chori Chori
"Yeh Raat Yeh Chandni" Jaal
I compiled this list over the years while listening to hundreds of songs.
Still, there might be a possibility of missing a rare one. Please suggest one such song that is not listed here and I will add making this page more inclusive.
Below is a short poll where I have selected the best music albums of those times.
Select the best one from the below
Which movie songs were the best?
A Quiz: How Much Do You Know or Remember?view quiz statistics
Questions & Answers
Do you know of a historical book about stories and incidents of the early Indian cinematic period from 1940 to 1960?
No, I haven't heard or was able to find a book through my research for the period you have mentioned. Although, there are several books on the history of Indian cinema as a whole. Some of the interesting books that I found are:
1) History of Indian Cinema - Renu Saran
2) Deep Focus: Reflection on Cinema - Satyajit Ray
3) Light of Asia: Indian Silent Cinema - 1912 - 1934Helpful 9
Where can we get the meaning of the lyrics of the great songs from your list?
There are hundreds of websites where you can find lyrics of these songs. I won't point you to any specific one, as no one website has every song. You'll have to search for each song via a search engine.Helpful 6
© 2017 Kannan Reddy