Grace General Points
- Composed by Jeff Buckley.
- Released in 1994.
- Grace is a Rock Ballad.
- Buckley only completed 1 album 'Grace' before dying at age 31 in 1997.
Instrumentation And Texture
- Buckley is a vocalist who is accompanied by guitars, bass guitars, synthesizer strings and a drum kit.
- The guitar is in Drop D tuning.
- Synthesizer strings drop in and out to add effect and vary texture.
- The texture thickens throughout the piece, especially in the coda.
Use Of Technology
- The use of modulation on the synthesizer at the start of the song.
- The use of distortion and flanging on the guitar.
- The use of EQ in the final verse.
1) Intro - Verse 1 - Pre chorus - Chorus
2) Link - Verse 2 - Pre Chorus - Chorus
3) Middle 8
4) Link - Verse 3 - Outro
Tonality And Harmony
- The song is written in E Minor although it's often ambiguous.
- The intro focuses on the chord of D and the key only becomes clear halfway through the first verse.
- Chromatic chords that move in a parallel motion.
- The use of dissonant harmonies.
Melody And Word Setting
- The vocal part ranges over 2 octaves and sometimes sound is improvised.
- Falling vocal phrases reflect the sadness of the song.
- Most of the word setting is syllabic although there is use of mellisma on certain words.
- In the bridge there is vocalization or wordless singing during which Buckley uses falsetto.
Rhythm, Metre And Tempo
- Time signature of 12/8.
- Lots of syncopation in vocal melody and bassline.
- Vocal melody is very rhythmically free.
- Use of cross-rhythms.
Philip Schlemenson on June 06, 2017:
Inspirational, enjoying blog a lot, thanks
Dulan Abeysundara on April 15, 2017:
Er... it's flanger, not flanging and I don't think you can call a part of this song the CODA because its not classical music?
sam on January 29, 2017:
keep up thew good work its really helping me to progress in music gcse
Adam on June 22, 2016:
This has really helped however I wouldn't mind a section on dynamics
Raph on April 17, 2016:
Maybe u could add what two main styles of music are combined to create grace? But the rest is brilliant, thanks it helped a lot
ice on May 31, 2014:
thanks so much for this :)
Carter Drakes on April 27, 2014:
Thanks, this helped a lot
poop on February 10, 2014:
Joe Salmon from Newport, Isle of Wight on May 23, 2013:
I love Jeff, this is brilliant!
jeff davis on May 23, 2013: