Raindrop Prelude General Points
- Raindrop Prelude is one in a collection of 24 preludes, one of each in the 12 Major and 12 Minor keys.
- Composed in 1839.
- Light repeated quavers heard throughout sound like raindrops, hence 'raindrop prelude'.
Key Features Of The Romantic Period
- Music is more expressive and emotive.
- Rich chromatic harmonies and lots of dissonance.
- Modulation between keys.
- Pieces of music are much longer.
Instrumentation And Dynamics
- Written for piano.
- Uses the middle and lower range of the piano.
- This work is not virtuosic and the focus is on the legato tone.
- There is a wide range of dynamics (pp-ff).
- Lots of crescendos and diminuendos so there are no sudden contrasts or changes in dynamics.
Section A: Db Major quavers in the left hand and the melody in the right hand.
Section B: C# Minor quavers in the right hand and melody in the left hand.
Section A: Db Major but this time finishes with a brief coda.
- The piece is written in turnary form (ABA)
- Time signature is 4/4 throughout.
- Use of septuplet in bars 4 and 23.
- Rubato is used in the recording, this means that it is played at a flexible tempo for added expressive effect.
- Repeated quavers are a unifying rhythmic feature throughout this piece.
Melody And Texture
- Decorated with ornaments e.g. acciaccatura in bar 4 and a turn in bar 11.
- In section B the melody is in the bassline with a narrower range and longer notes.
- Homophonic texture (apart from 2 bars at the end which are monophonic).
Tonality And Harmony
- Db Major.
- Diatonic harmonies with the occasional chromaticism.
- Modulates to the enharmonic tonic minor.
- Sections A and B both end in imperfect cadences but the whole prelude ends in a perfect cadence.
- Dominant pedal can be heard throughout most of the piece.
Rivi ya Boi on September 09, 2018:
Thank you so much! This really helped me to finish a page on my assignment for Chopin. Actually, I should probably be editing right now because it's due next period. OwO
Thank you again :D
student at daca on April 26, 2017:
where could you find what instruments he uses
RaphGeld on February 09, 2016:
Thanks so much, music essay is now finished!
Geek on May 13, 2015:
us on February 05, 2015:
anonymous on November 27, 2014:
omg this is great!! im defo using it for exams
that random guy on October 14, 2014:
Toby on June 16, 2014:
You should also remember it is in ternary form, but otherwise really insightful.
Peter on June 02, 2014:
Thanks. Exam in 30 minutes
Dominic Reynolds on May 31, 2014:
thanks so much...exam on monday!
Anastasia Bunce on May 31, 2014:
so useful thanks so much!
zaman on March 23, 2014:
this really helped- but could you please make the analysis more specific like harmony being separate from tonality and analyse them in more depth?
just somebody on March 22, 2014:
this page is really helpful, thanks!
ben on February 12, 2014:
i can tell you don't actually know what you are talking about, and i'm a mere student
anonymous on December 26, 2013:
of course it isn't a virtuoso performance, it's grade 6 at it's best, she is right to say that it isn't.
anonymous on November 21, 2013:
Under 'Instruments and Dynamics' you've put that this piece is not virtuosic but it actually is because it demands immense technical skill?
Emily (author) on May 22, 2013:
No problem, good luck to all of you with your exam tomorrow!
Lucie on May 22, 2013:
Tis has helped me so much for my exam tomorrow. thanks :D the textbook makes it seem so much more complicated. Cheers for this
Josh on May 15, 2013:
aah the fun thing is that at first it seems like a massive job just to remember some of this stuff but now you look at it in this form and well i think its soo easy, thanks
Harrison on May 12, 2013:
Thanks for this, it has really helped me throughout my revision! Again thanks Anthropophobia, I owe you one.
woody on April 18, 2013:
i have an exam on this oops i don't get this 1 bit
Emily (author) on April 08, 2013:
Thank you! Good luck with the revision!
Patrick on April 08, 2013:
Really fantastic notes my friend! These have really helped in my revision!
Emily (author) on December 13, 2012:
Great that I could help you! Best of luck with your essay. :)
MitsukiManga on December 13, 2012:
Thank you for the help! Wouldn't have been able to do my music essay without these good points :)
Emily (author) on May 13, 2012:
No problem! All the best in the exam tomorrow! :)
Anonymous (well more or less) on May 13, 2012:
Thankyou so much for the info on all the edexcel pieces, they've been a brilliant substitute for our "absent" teacher
Emily (author) on May 08, 2012:
Thank you, I'm glad you found it useful.
Good luck in the exam!
Student on May 07, 2012:
Really helpful, will definitely use this information in the exam!