Ray has been an online music writer for over three years. Having sung in multiple competitions as a youth, he has a passion for the art.
Who Is Moira Dela Torre?
Moira Dela Torre is a Filipina singer-songwriter who rose to fame for her Tagalog song covers of different Filipino bands and artists. She started her career as a voice artist for corporate jingles and commercial theme songs. (Little did you know, she was the voice of McDonald's "Hooray for Today" and Surf's "Pinalaki.")
In 2013, she joined ABS-CBN's reality television singing competition The Voice of the Philippines. She advanced to the battle rounds of the said competition. But, sadly, she lost to her opponent, Penelope Matanguihan. Regardless of the loss, this was Moira's big break. Her performances gained her national attention.
In 2014, she released her first single, "Love Me Instead." But, it took her until 2016 to really breakthrough, when she was given a chance to sing the song "Malaya," which was the official soundtrack of the Filipino movie Camp Sawi. This song displayed the angelic and soft voice that would make her popular across the Philippines.
Album: The Better Half
Facts About "Malaya"
- "Malaya" was Moira Dela Torre's debut single.
- "Malaya" was the official theme song of the Filipino movie Camp Sawi, a comedy-drama film that starred Bela Padilla, Yassi Pressman, Kim Molina, Andi Eigenmann, Arci Munoz, and Sam Milby.
- In 2018, Moira Dela Torre became Spotify's No. 1 most-streamed artist in the Philippines.
- "Malaya" was nominated for the Movie Original Theme Song of the Year award at the Star Awards 2017.
- This love song has bagged several awards, such as the Wishclusive Contemporary Folk Performance of the Year, Wishclusive Viral Videos of the Year, and the Wishclusive Elite Circle Bronze Award at the 3rd Wish 107.5 FM Music Awards.
- "Malaya" also received the Awit Award for Album of the Year award at the 2018 Star Music Awards.
- According to Moira, her song "Malaya" was about the freedom that comes form accepting what you can't control and what you can.
Facts About "Tagpuan"
- "Tagpuan" was released on January 25, 2018, and was included in Moira's 2018 studio album Malaya.
- During the making of the music video for this Filipino love song, her longtime boyfriend, Jason Hernandez, proposed to her.
- It was nominated for the Best Ballad Recording, Record of the Year, People's Voice Favorite Record, People's Voice Favorite Music Video, and People's Voice Favorite Song awards at the 2019 Awit Awards.
- It was also nominated for two Myx Music awards for Favorite Song and Best Music Video.
- "Tagpuan" was awarded the Song of the Year and Music Video of the Year awards at the 2019 Awit Awards. It was also awarded the Myx Music Award for Favorite Mellow Video at the 2019 Myx Music Awards.
- According to Moira (as stated in an interview with Boy Abunda), "Tagpuan" was one of the hardest songs she ever wrote.
Facts About "Tagu-taguan"
- "Tagu-taguan" is one of Moira Dela Torre's most notable love songs.
- According to Moira, "Tagu-taguan" is about the feeling of wishing she could be a child again when times get too tough.
- It was nominated for the Wish Contemporary Folk Song of the Year award at the 4th Wish 107.5 Music Awards.
- It was also nominated for the Best Pop Recording award at the 2019 Awit Awards.
Facts About "Titibo-tibo"
- "Titibo-tibo" was composed by Libertine Amistoso. It is a love song about a woman who finds herself behaving more lady-like after falling in love with a man.
- "Titibo-tibo" was the winner of the Himig Handog 2017 Competition in the Philippines.
- It received the Best Performance by a Female Recording Artist and the People's Voice Favorite Song awards at the 2018 Awit Awards.
- It was also nominated for the Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and People's Voice Favorite Record awards at the 2018 Awit Awards.
- It was nominated for the Myx Music award for Favorite Song at the 2018 Myx Music Awards.
Facts About "Mabagal"
- "Mabagal" is a collaboration between Moira Dela Torre and Daniel Padilla.
- This love song was composed by Dan Martel Simon Tanedo and produced by Johnny Moonlight.
- This love song has a '50s—'70s vibe that will make you feel nostalgic.
- This love song has bagged multiple awards, such as the Best Song of the Year, MOR Philippines' Choice Award, Myx Choice for Best Music Video, ONE Music Philippine's Choice for Favorite Interpreter, Start Music's Award for Best Produced Track, and the Listener's Choice award for Most Streamed Track at the 2019 Himig Handog Competition.
Facts About "Knots"
- "Knots" is a collaborative R&B song by Moira Dela Torre and Nieman.
- This love song was released by Tarsier Records in 2018.
- It is a love song about people who get timid and nervous around their special someone.
- This love song was nominated for the People's Voice Favorite Collaboration at the 2019 Awit Awards.
- It was awarded the Best Collaboration award at the 2019 Awit Awards.
7. "Huling Gabi"
Facts About "Huling Gabi"
- "Huling Gabi" was the official theme song of Star Cinema's romantic comedy film Last Night, which starred Toni Gonzaga and Piolo Pascual.
- "Huling Gabi" is one of Moira Dela Torre's saddest songs. It will break your heart and bring tears to your eyes.
- This love song talks about the different realizations we have throughout our lives. It's about what we learn as we search for purpose, meaning, and love.
8. "Kita Na Kita"
Facts About "Kita Na Kita"
- "Kita Na Kita" is a popular song from the 2017 Philippine romantic comedy film Kita Kita, one of the best Filipino films of 2017.
- Kita Kita was written and directed by Sigrid Andrea Bernardo.
- According to Moira, she decided to write "Kita Na Kita" because she was inspired by the film's storyline and its outstanding cast.
Facts About "Sundo"
- "Sundo" was originally sung by Imago, and was released on October 6, 2017.
- "Sundo" was the soundtrack for ABS-CBN's Filipino family drama television series The Good Son, which starred Joshua Garcia, Jerome Ponce, McCoy de Leon, and Nash Aguas.
- Moira Dela Torre perfectly covered this great family love song. Her soothing and angelic voice is unforgettable.
- This love song will open up wounds you never realized were there.
Facts About "Torete"
- "Torete" was originally sung by Moonstar88, a Filipino rock band formed in the Philippines.
- "Torete" was the official soundtrack of the 2017 Filipino romantic comedy film Love You to the Stars and Back, which starred Joshua Garcia and Julia Barretto.
- The movie was written and directed by Antoinette Jadaone.
- It was nominated the Favorite Media Soundtrack award at the 2018 Myx Music Awards.
- Moira Dela Torre's version of this love song has superb guitar composition, making it more appealing to the Filipino people.
Other Filipino Love Songs by Moira Dela Torre
"Kung Di Rin Lang Ikaw"
"Huli Na Ba Ang Lahat"
"Take Her to the Moon"
"Ikaw at Ako"
"Before It Sinks In"
"We & Us"
"You Are My Sunshine"
"If You Tell Me You Love Me"
"Be My Fairytale"
"Wala Nang Kulang Pa"
"After Your Heart"
"Happily Ever After"
"Love Me Instead"
"Anong Nangyari Sa Ating Dalawa"
"We Could Happen"
"My Sweet Escape"
"It Came Upon A Midnight Clear"
"Hanggang Sa Huli"
Hit Songs Playlist of Moira Dela Torre
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2020 Ray
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on March 30, 2020:
Well researched article. Elaborate.