I'm a longtime freelance writer and blogger who frequently writes about music and the global music industry.
South Africa is a fascinating place filled with culture and diversity. There are many great musical acts that have emerged over the past decade. Here are some of my favorite musical acts from the country of South Africa. My list is based upon popularity and notable success.
Best South African Musicians
- Sho Madjozi
- Frank Casino
- Nadia Nakai
- Shane Eagle
- A Reece
- Nasty C
- Amanda Black
- Vusi Nova
Born: May 9, 1992
From: Limpopo, South Africa
Facts About Sho Madjozi:
- Maya Wegerif, better known as Sho Madjozi, was born May 9th, 1992, in Limpopo, South Africa.
- She started her career as a poet, performing in the United States.
- She is biracial. Her father is white and her mother is African black.
- Maya went by her poet name, Maya the Poet. She later changed her name in 2017 when her career took off (after collaborating with rapper Okmalumkoolkat on the single "Gqi").
- This led to further success. In 2018, she released her first studio album. It won the South African music award for New Comer of the Year and Best Female album.
- In 2019, she reached international success when she was featured on the global music platform colors with her smash hit song "John Cena."
- The song was inspired by U.S. professional wrestler John Cena. The hit earned her a BET Award.
- She is best known for her unique hairstyles, fashion, and cultural music.
- She performs in many languages, which include Swahili, Tsonga and English.
Born: October 11, 1979
From: Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Facts About Zonke:
- Zonke is a south African musician. She rose to fame in 2011 with her third album, Ina Ethe.
- The album was certified double platinum.
- She began her career in Germany, winning the channel O award for the album Africa in 2003.
- The album was successful in Japan and Italy.
- She has gone on to release several more successful albums in South Africa. Zonke is best known for her beautiful singing voice.
- She sings in English and her native Xhosa language.
Born: September 11, 1994
From: Tembisa, Johannesburg, South Africa
Facts About Frank Casino:
- He was influenced by American hip-hop.
- Casino has released numerous successful singles, which include "Mayo," among many others.
- He is best known for his distinct rapping voice.
Born: May 18, 1990
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
Facts About Nadia Nakai:
- Nadia Nakai first rose to fame when she won the Mix-tape 101 competition on the E TV Hip-Hop show.
- In 2013, she released her debut single, "Like Me," which furthered her success.
- Her many hit singles include, "Imma Boss" and "Naa Mean."
- She is currently a cohost on Yo MTV Raps South Africa.
Born: June 7, 1996
From: Rabie Ridge, Midrand, South Africa
Facts About Shane Eagle:
- Shane Eagle is a South African biracial rapper. He has been compared to American rapper J. Cole for his similar musical style.
- He first rose to fame in 2015 after finishing in third place in the Vuzu reality rapping competition.
- Shane is a independent artist.
- His many hit records include, I'm Back, Paris, and Cutting Corners.
Born: September 13, 1992
From: Pretoria, South Africa
Facts About Rouge:
- Rouge is a South African rapper. She is of Congolese descent.
- Rouge was born in Pretoria South Africa.
- She quickly rose to fame in 2016, when she collaborated with other successful South African artists, such as Aka and Nasty C.
- Her first album and short film won a South African music award for best video.
Born: March 27, 1997
From: Pretoria, South Africa
Facts About A Reece:
- A Reece is a South African rapper and songwriter. He is currently an independent artist.
- He left his label after citing artistic differences.
- His many hit singles include "Paradise," "We Know Better," and "Safe Haven."
- The rapper's mixtape "Reece Effect" charted 11 songs on ITunes' top 20.
Born: February 11, 1997
From: Durban, South Africa
Facts About Nasty C:
- David junior Ngcobo, better known as Nasty C, is a South African musician, songwriter, and producer.
- He currently has his own label called Tall Racks Records.
- He first rose to fame in 2015 with his Price City Mix Tape.
- Nasty has gone on to release several successful albums, which include Bad Hair and Strings and Bling.
- The South African rapper was once scouted by Jay Z.
- He has sold more than five million records worldwide and was the youngest recipient to win a South African Music Award.
Born: July 24, 1993
From: Mthatha, South Africa
Facts About Amanda Black:
- Amanda Black is a rising star. She is south African and hails from the Xhosa and Zulu Tribes.
- She often sings in her native tongue.
- Amanda has released many successful singles in her promising career.
- She is best known for her powerful singing voice.
Born: September 24, 1984
From: Port Elizabeth's New Brighton Township, South Africa
Facts About Vusi Nova:
- Vusi Nova is a South African Musician. He is best known for his heart-breaking love songs which he sings in his native Xhosa language.
- The music legend's career began in 2013.
- In 2017, he took home a South African music award for best Afro pop album.
- He has a famous brother who is a South African actor.
- Vusi is best known for his powerful voice.
Theblogchick (author) from United States on February 02, 2020:
Thanks for your comment Eurofile.
Liz Westwood from UK on February 02, 2020:
You have put South Africa on the musical map with this article.